Justin Trudeau’s surprise action of expelling senators from the Liberal caucus appears to be a brilliant opening move in the political chess game that is on-going in Ottawa.
In one deft move he has established his credentials as a leader. The reaction around our office was: “Wow! That is pretty cool! Match that one, Mr. Harper!”
His simple, clear decision has changed the Senate game and, to my mind, demonstrated that he is a serious contender in the coming political battles.
Justin Trudeau’s decision has:
- changed the game in Ottawa;
- got everyone talking – he has wrestled the agenda from the PMO;
- amused people by the blatancy and novelty of his decision;
- shown a political brazenness that people would not have suspected of him;
- demonstrated political selflessness and shrewdness;
- acted in a manner that may win the approval of many Canadians;
- demonstrated a level of assertiveness, courage and clarity as found in an effective leader.
He has dared to manage.